Ajmodadi Choorna is a polyherbal Ayurvedic medicine used as a carminative and an antispasmodic. It is a strong wormifuge, and helps in all painful conditions like sciatica and stiffness in back. This choorna (powder) also restores normal digestive functions. It alleviates pain associated with joint disorders and expels Ama (toxins). Therefore, it is also known as Amapachak medicine in Ayurveda. It is an ancient formulation prepared from natural botanicals and has no side effects which is quite effective in regaining agility in the limbs.
Ingredients of Ajmodadi Choorna:
There are two types of formulations described in Ayurvedic texts. These are:
Ajmodadi Choorna – 1
This formulation is more beneficial for rheumatoid arthritis, gout, swelling, sciatica, backache and other painful disorders.
|Sr. No.||Ingredient Name||Quantity|
|1.||Ajmoda (Celery seeds) Apium graveolens||1 part (12 grams)|
|2.||Vaividang (False black pepper) – Embelia ribes||1 part (12 grams)|
|3.||Saindha Namak (Rock salt)||1 part (12 grams)|
|4.||Devdaru (Deodar cedar) – Cedrus deodara||1 part (12 grams)|
|5.||Chitrak – Plumbago zeylanica||1 part (12 grams)|
|6.||Soya beej (dill seeds) – Anethum sowa||1 part (12 grams)|
|7.||Pippali (Long Pepper) – Piper longum||1 part (12 grams)|
|8.||Piplamool (Long pepper roots) -Piper longum||1 part (12 grams)|
|9.||Kali Mirch (Black Pepper) – Piper nigrum||1 part (12 grams)|
|10.||Haritaki – Harad (Terminalia chebula)||5 parts (60 grams)|
|11.||Vidhara (Argyreia nervosa)||10 parts (120 grams)|
|12.||Sonth (Ginger rhizome)-Zingiber officinale||10 parts (120 grams)|
Reference: Sharangdhar Samhita
Ajmodadi Choorna – 2
This formulation is also used for joint disorders but it is more effective for abdominal distension, gas and abdominal pain.
|Sr. No.||Ingredient Name||Quantity|
|1.||Ajmoda (Celery seeds) – Apium graveolens||1 part|
|2.||Vacha (Sweet flag) – Acorus calamus||1 part|
|3.||Kushta (Indian costus root) – Saussurea lappa||1 part|
|4.||Amlavetasa – Garcinia pedunculata||1 part|
|5.||Saindha Namak (Rock salt)||1 part|
|7.||Haritaki (Harad) – Terminalia chebula||1 part|
|8.||Trikatu Choorna||3 parts|
|10.||Nagarmotha (Mustak) – Cyperus rotundus||1 part|
|11.||Hulhul – Cleome viscose||1part|
|12.||Sonth – Gingiber officinale||1 part|
|13.||Kala Namak (Black Salt)||1 part|
The main ingredient used in Ajmodadi Choorna is Celery. The medicinal qualities of Celery are:
- Guna (Qualities): Laghu (light to digest), Rooksha (Dry), Teekshna (Piercing, enters into deep tissues).
- Rasa (taste): Katu (pungent), Tiktta (bitter)
- Vipaka: undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion
- Veerya (Potency): Ushna (hot)
- Effect on Tridoshas: Kaphavatahara (Balances Kapha and Vata doshas).
What are the medicinal properties of Ajmodadi Choorna?
It has the following medicinal properties:
- Amapachak (Detoxifying)
- Digestive stimulant
What are the Ayurvedic properties of Ajmodadi Choorna?
Ajmodadi Choorna reduces Kapha Dosha and pacifies Vata dosha. Therefore, it is considered as one of the best Ayurvedic medicines for balancing aggravated Vata or Kapha dosha.
It might not be suitable for patients who have aggravated Pitta dosha.
What are the Medicinal Uses of Ajmodadi Choorna?
It is quite effective for musculoskeletal and nervous system disorders. Ajmodadi choorna reduces pain, inflammation and swelling of the joints and also improves mobility of the joints.
Medicinal Uses of Ajmodadi Choorna in different disorders:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: In Ayurvedic practice, Ajmodadi choorna is a drug of choice for Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA). This disorder is related to Amavata, which is caused due to the formation of
- Ajmodadi Choorna prevents the formation of Ama (toxins) in the body and stimulates digestive fire as well.
- It also expels amavisha which is already accumulated in the body and also alleviates its effects on different organs in the body including joints.
- Ajmodadi Choorna also reduces pain, swelling, stiffness and stiffness associated with rheumatoid arthritis therefore it is considered as the best Ayurvedic medicine for rheumatoid arthritis.
- Sciatica: The aggravation of Vata dosha in the body leads to the irritation of sciatic nerve.
- Ajmodadi Choorna reduces the Vata
- The most common causes of sciatica are bone spur, spinal stenosis, herniated disc etc. Due to these factors, sciatic nerve gets compressed which causes symptoms such as numbness, pain, and inflammation along the course of sciatic nerve.
- Ajmodadi Choorna provides strength to the sciatic nerve and helps to restore the natural health of spine.
Dosage of Ajmodadi Choorna:
Take 1-3 grams of Ajmodadi Choorna along with hot water or equal quantity of jaggery once or twice a day after taking food or as advised by Ayurvedic physician.
There are no contraindications for Ajmodadi Choorna but it should not be used during pregnancy and the safety profile of Ajmodadi Choorna is not well established for lactating mothers. Please consult an Ayurvedic physician before using Ajmodadi Choorna during lactation.