Modern society has seen a lot of dramatic changes such as faster and hectic lifestyles. This lifestyle has brought a pattern of unhealthy eating habits. Regular eating outs have brought a variety of digestive disorders. Acidity is one of them. It can occur in all age groups like children, adults, and old age. The main reason behind the cause of acidity is excessive production of HCl (Hydrochloric acid). HCl helps in digestion by breaking down food in the body. In Ayurveda, it is known as Agni which is considered a digestive fire.
Acidity, also known as hyperacidity refers to a set of symptoms caused by an imbalance between the acid secretion mechanism of the stomach and proximal intestine. So, to make the digestion of food properly, the functioning of HCl is important. If it is produced in a large quantity, it causes acidity.
What are the causes of Acidity?
The main reasons for producing the excess quantity of acid in our body are:
- consumption of alcohol
- lack of physical exercise
- frequent smoking
- bad eating habits.
- People who suffer from medical conditions such as asthma, diabetes, connective tissue disorder, obesity are more prone to acidity.
What are the symptoms of Acidity?
In acidity, people may get the symptoms such as:
- chest pain
- burning sensation
- pain in the stomach and throat
- difficulty in swallowing
- regurgitation of food or sour substance
Treatment: Modern treatment for acidity includes the prescription of antacids, medications to reduce and block acid production, medications to heal the esophagus, etc.
While these medicines provide symptomatic relief only, they don’t treat the underlying cause.
If the underlying cause of acidity is not treated, it can lead to other complications such as ulceration (breech in tissue), heartburn symptoms like GERD, etc.
Also Read: What is Depression and its Symptoms, Causes
What are the causes of Acidity according to Ayurveda?
In Ayurveda, acidity is mentioned as Amalpitta. It is a disorder that is caused by an imbalance of Pitta dosha. People having Pitta constitution tend to suffer from acidity frequently if their lifestyle and diet are wrong.
Another dosha, Kapha has its seat in the stomach and the chest. The role of Kapha dosha is to control the secretion of digestive juices and secretion of mucus, therefore weak digestion and mucus congestion are the most common patterns seen in acid reflux.
Psychological issues such as taking too much stress, anger, jealousy also affect the secretion of acid in the stomach and lead to hyperacidity.
Ayurveda recommends a few simple changes in the diet and lifestyle to pacify the doshas for good digestive health. It includes reducing the intake of heat-producing foods which can trigger the production of acid in the stomach.
The goal of Ayurvedic treatment for the treatment of acidity is to improve digestion. People suffering from acidity should avoid the consumption of alcohol, ginger, garlic, hot peppers, vinegar, salty and fried foods because these food items create undigested residue in the body that create toxins and increase Pitta dosha and mucus production. So, a diet that does not cause the formation of acid must be preferred.
Ayurvedic practitioners advise some easy and basic remedies to cure acidity at home only. These are:
- Take 2-3 gm of amla powder with water after lunch.
- Avoid taking too spicy food
- Take water after 1 hour of taking a meal
- Do exercise daily
- Take light food and coconut water.
- Eat only when you are feeling hungry
- Do not overeat.
- Avoid taking fried and junk food
- Keep a gap of three hours after every meal so that the food gets digested easily.
- Avoid taking tea, coffee, and carbonated beverages.
- Take proper rest
- Do not remain hungry for more time
- Avoid taking stale and contaminated food
- Eat fresh and fiber-rich food
- Vegetables like white pumpkin, bitter gourd, all leafy vegetables except methi should be taken into the diet.
- Fruits like pomegranate, fig, dry fig, black resins, black grapes are advised.
- Curd at night should be strictly avoided.
- Take meals in a relaxed atmosphere and at regular intervals.
- Increase the intake of sattvic food in the diet and avoid non-vegetarian food.
Some of the Home Remedies for Acidity are:
- Take the powder of 25 gm each of roasted cumin and coriander seeds. Consume ½ spoon of it with
thrice a day.
- Drink 100-150 ml of tender fresh coconut water twice a day.
- Mix equal parts of basil leaves, powdered fennel seeds, powdered licorice root, and coriander seeds. Take ½ teaspoon of this mixture with ½ teaspoon of powdered rock candy 15 minutes before taking lunch and dinner.
- Whenever there is a feeling of heartburn, make a powdered mixture of fennel seeds, green cardamom, and rock candy. Mix 1 teaspoon of this mixture in a glass of cold milk and drink it.
Some Yoga Exercises and Pranayam for Acidity are:
- Shitkari Pranayam
- Chanderbhedi Pranayam
For acidity that is caused due to stress, practice Meditation for one hour regularly.
If your acidity symptoms increase gradually, then it is always recommended to visit an ayurvedic doctor for the proper treatment. If you want proper treatment then, go for an ayurvedic treatment.
Why choose Ayurveda?
The science of Ayurveda involves natural treatment for curing diseases. It has a very scientific approach for the treatment which one can follow very easily. The problem of acidity is very much related to our lifestyle. Ayurvedic treatment mainly focuses on the root cause of the problem. Even in some cases, you do not have to take medicines, you can cure your problem or disease by correcting the lifestyle and diet. People who take ayurvedic treatment have a reduced risk of health complications later and have a long life as compared to others.
So, if you want to live a natural life and keep the problem of acidity at bay, follow the principles of Ayurveda and live a healthy and happy life.
The Blog is published by Suyogya Ayurwellness Pvt Ltd. – Best Company For Ayurvedic Medicine In India.