Constipation is defined as chronic condition of gut or chronic bowel movements that are infrequent and hard to pass out the solidified stool. It is one of the most common health problem that every person experiences once or more in the lifetime. It is very frustrating situation one faces in the form of multiple episodes of defecation but not able to pass stool properly and easily.
Chronic episodes of this harmful disease lead to the onset of other troubles like piles, haemorrhoids and anal fissure. Feeling of abdominal discomfort, painful abdominal cramps, bloating, and incomplete elimination of the stool are the main symptoms that a person suffering with constipation experiences. In simple terminology we can say that constipation is painful evacuation of stool. If the chronic condition is not resolved on time it leads to bowel obstruction and becomes a life-threatening disease.
There are multiple reasons that lead to constipation by hindering the process of absorption of food in the gut, formation of stool and propelling of stool into the large intestine to excrete from body. Major factors responsible for onset of this disease are lack of fibre, poor diet, insufficient fluids and use of certain medications for long time. In various cases obstruction of gut occurs due to other serious troubles like colon cancer, irritable bowel syndrome and ulcers etc. women are more prone to this disease than men. Children are also another target of this disease due to poor diet and lack of water intake. Old people, obese people, people with lack of exercise and inactive lifestyle are at the major risk of this disease.
Symptoms of constipation-
Below mentioned are the major symptoms that a person suffering from constipation may experience-
- Pain due to hard passage of stool
- Abdominal cramps
- Abdominal discomfort
- Severe headache
- Incomplete or partial passage of stool
Above mentioned are the symptoms that a person feels suffering with constipation. Later on this disease becomes more chronic and lead to further complications that include-
- Rectal prolapse
- Bowel obstruction
- Chronic laxative abuse
- Ischemic attacks
Constipation can affect every age group even small children can be constipated due to lack of fluids and poor diet.
Causes of constipation-
- Eating low fibre diet
- Lack of fluids and insufficient drinking of water
- Troubles of abdominal and colonic muscles
- Lack of physical activities
- Supressing natural urges
- Delaying bowel movements
- Regular and prolonged use of medications like antacids etc.
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy
- Other health complications like- irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), problems of colon and diverticulosis.
Ayurvedic aspect of constipation (vibandha)-
According to Ayurveda term used for disease constipation is vibandha. All the three bio-energies or tridoshas (vata, pitta and kapha) are responsible for the onset of this disease in Ayurveda. Apana vayu is a type of vata that is responsible to control the peristaltic and downward movements of stool in human body. Proper passage of stool in body is controlled by apana vayu. Imbalance and aggravation or culmination of apana vayu in body is responsible to affect the muscles of stomach, colon and intestine and is responsible for onset of this disease called vibandha (constipation).
Herbs available at Suyogya Ayurwellness for vbvandha (constipation)-
Ayurveda is the holistic approach to cure this trouble naturally. It helps to treat this condition naturally with herbs to avoid the use of harmful laxatives. Triphala (haritaki, vibhitaki and amalki), pippali, shunthi, hingu, kutaki and eranda are the herbs available at Syogya Ayurwellness for use to cure constipation. Regular uses of these herbs are safe and the herbs are totally gentle for our gut. Use of all these herbs helps to correct the imbalance of apana vayu in body and normalize the digestive functions. It helps to ensure the proper bowel movements.
- Triphala (haritaki, vibhitaki and amalki) – Triphala is one of the best herb compound of Ayurveda that helps to fight against this chronic remedy without any side effects. Regular use of this herbal remedy available at Syogya Ayurwellness helps to improve peristaltic movements and expel hard defecated stool from the gut. Use of these herbs helps to improve digestion and metabolism in body and give relief from bloating, burping and regurgitation caused by constipation.
- Pippali – Pippali is best digestive herb of Ayurveda and regular use of this herb available at Syogya Ayurwellness helps to light up the natural digestive fire in body. Use of this herb helps to digest food properly and complete absorption of food in body and prevent our body from the risk of constipation.
- Shunthi – Shunthi is also a good digestive herb available at Syogya Ayurwellness to fight against chronic constipation. Regular use of this herb helps to enhance our metabolism and improve the digestive health of our gut. Regular use of this herb maintains proper movement of food in gut and helps to absorb food. It helps to push the food into large intestine and maintain balance of vata dosha and apana vayu in body.
- Hingu– Hingu is another beneficial herb to fight against constipation available at Syogya Ayurwellness. Regular use of this herb helps in the management of flatulence due to its carminative properties. Due to its laxative nature, this herb helps to improve peristaltic movements and cure chronic constipation. Regular use of this herb helps to reduce the excessive accumulated abdominal fat and help to improve weight management. Regular use of this herb helps to resolve abdominal uneasiness.
- Kutaki – Kutaki available at Syogya Ayurwellness is another beneficial herb to treat constipation without any harmful effects. Regular use of this herb helps to stimulate the reduced appetite and light up digestive fire. It is digestive, detoxifying, anti-inflammatory and anti-emetic herb of Ayurveda. Regular use of this herb helps to cure headache and nausea caused by chronic constipation and give satisfactory relief.
- Eranda – Eranda is strongest laxative and piercing herb of Ayurveda. Regular use of this herb in those suffering with constipation helps to expel out the hard accumulated stool from the gut. Oil present in this herb helps to lubricate the abdomen and intestines and facilitates the smooth bowel movements.
Preventive measures to cure constipation-
- Avoid the diet that aggravates vata dosha in body.
- Take rich fibre diet and plenty of fluids.
- Add green leafy vegetables to your daily diet.
- Eat apples, papaya, banana, guava, figs and oranges in your daily diet.
- Drink lukewarm water early morning daily and it should be taken frequently whole day.
- Avoid salty, spicy, fried, carbonated and frozen foods.
- A small spoon of ghee added to warm glass of milk should be taken before going to bed.
- Take your food at regular times and avoid over eating. Maintain a proper gap in your diet to main regular metabolism.
- Take proper sleep. Eight hour sleep is very essential.
The above Blog is published by Suyogya Ayurwellness Pvt Ltd. – Online Ayurvedic Medicine Supplier.