Basically coughing is a reflux that help to clear our throat and airway passage. No doubt it very annoying act but is very essential to protect and heal our lungs and bronchial system. Normally it begins with normal cough that last for a week but if this condition is not curable for more than two or three weeks than its time to worry. In acute cough affected person may suffer flu, cough and acute bronchitis. But chronic cough last longer for two three weeks and major factors that are responsible for this include-
- chronic bronchitis
- multiple allergies
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder
- gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
- chronic smoking
- throat troubles
- regular use of certain medications
- air pollutants
- post nasal drip
- lung problems and lung cancer
Cough is a quick response of our respiratory system in response to any type of irritant that irritates your throat or airway channels. Irritant stimulate the nerves that send a message to our brain and as a result brain cells send a message to our chest and abdominal muscles in the form of coughing to expel out that irritant. Occasionally coughs are normal and has no side effects. If cough longer for two weeks or more along with bloody mucus, it’s time to worry and you need to take care of you and your medications. Prolonged and vigorous coughing is very harmful as it causes sleeplessness, nausea, vomiting, headache, chest pain, dizziness, fainting, urinary incontinence and mucus with blood.
Depending upon the type of cough acute or chronic causes also varies. Occasional cough is normal but prolonged cough is matter of worry for everyone.
Causes of Acute Cough-
- common cold
- whooping cough
Causes of chronic cough-
- use of certain medicines regularly
- lung disorders or lung cancer
- gastro-oesophageal reflux
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder
- chronic smoking
- postnasal drip
Cough is very normal reflux of body to defend our respiratory system from irritants like-
- Various allergens like- dust, mold and pollen grains.
Also Read: What is the treatment of Piles in Ayurveda?
Types of cough-
- Dry cough– dry cough is result of illness of respiratory system. Dry cough are the results of absence or little presence of mucus in lungs. Person suddenly feels tingling sensation and not able to control the attack of coughing reflux.
- Chesty or wet cough– this type of cough is mainly result of chest infections. Coughing occurs with presence of high amounts of phlegm and mucus. Sometimes blood mucus is expelled out by the infected person.
- Whooping cough– pertussis is also called as whooping cough. It is highly contagious bacterial infections. Person suffering with this type of cough has mild flu like and fever like symptoms along with aggressive and painful cough. People with weak immune system and small babies are more prone to this infectious type of cough.
- Choking– person with partially blocked air pathway is more prone to this type of cough. In this type of cough due to blocked airway person try to rid away the objects and foreign particles.
- Chronic coughs– chronic cough are the result of long time running weakness inside the infected person. Usually it last longer for 8 weeks or more and it is also underlying symptoms of the diseases that arises in human body. Allergies, untreated infections, chronic smoking, pneumonia, throat cancer, lung cancer and use of certain medications are the major causes of this type of cough.
Ayurvedic outlook of cough-
According to Ayurveda term used to recognise disease cough is “kasa-roga”. Imbalance of tridoshas and other factors are responsible for the onset of this disease. It is further divided into following sub types-
- vataj (due to vitiation of vata dosha)
- pittaj (due to vitiation of pitta dosha)
- kaphaj (due to vitiation of kapaha dosha)
- sanipattaj (due to vitiation of all three doshas)
- kashtaj (due to any type of trauma)
- kashayaj (due to tuberculosis)
Mainly kapha dosha is responsible for all the disorders of respiratory tract but in case of cough all three doshas and other factors are responsible for onset of different types of cough. Imbalance of all three doshas are responsible for hindering ojas (immunity) in body and results in fast attacks of cold, coughs and flus.
Herbs available at suyogya ayurwellness for treating cough-
Ayurveda is holistic healing of science and powerhouse of herbs to treat multiple acute and chronic diseases. Herbs are the only safe and natural approach to cure cough without any side effects. Turmeric, mulethi, giloy, pippali, shunthi and tulsi are the herbs used to cure cough naturally available at our suyogya ayurvwellness.
- Turmeric– turmeric is best herb of Ayurveda used to cure cough due to presence of strong anti-inflammatory effects. Regular use of this herb help to heal the inflammation present in respiratory tract that is responsible for causing coughing attacks. It is very beneficial herb that help to fight against various other troubles like asthma and bronchitis.
- mulethi – mulethi is another beneficial herb of Ayurveda that is very powerful remedy of cough. Regular use of this herb help to sooth the internal lining of respiratory tract and it help to control the sudden coughing attacks. Use of this herb help to heal the inflammation of larynx and throat and give satisfactory relief.
- giloy – giloy is immunity booster and anti-oxidant herb of Ayurveda. Regular use of this herb help to boost our immune system and help to kill all the harmful toxins and foreign particles that is responsible for onset of cough.
- pippali– pippali is one of best piercing herb of Ayurveda and regular use of pippali in cough help to expel out the stubborn mucus and phlegm deposited in the walls of respiratory tract. It help to stop the production of excessive kapha dosha in lungs and give satisfactory relief.
- shunthi – shunthi is strong mycolytic herb of Ayurveda and it help to treat various respiratory tract disorders like asthma, bronchitis, sinusitis, common cold and cough. It help to excrete out the cough and mucus stick to the walls of lungs and give natural relief. gingerols and shaogals are the active chemical compounds present in this herb and are anti-inflammatory in nature.
- tulsi – camphene, eugenol and cineole are the chemical active compounds present in this herb. Regular use of this herb help to treat common cold, cough and flus. It is one of best beneficial remedy to control common cold, bronchitis, asthma and tuberculosis. It is also immunity booster that help to strengthen our natural immunity.
Other preventive measures for cough-
- Flush out the toxins from body. Using healthy diet and by regular exercise daily.
- Use immunity booster drinks and plenty of water to protect your body naturally.
- Stay away from the aggravators that help to aggravate kapha dosha in body. Try to take vitamin c rich diet to protect your body.
- Use home remedies like ginger, honey, black pepper to control acute cough.
- Do nasya daily. Try to moisturize your nasal passage with ayurvedic oil to protect your body from the attack of coughing.
The above Blog is published by Suyogya Ayurwellness Pvt Ltd. – Best for Ayurvedic Medicine Home Delivery.