Owing to the eating habits and lifestyle, a large number of the population is a chronic sufferer of malbandh commonly known as constipation. Constipation is explained in Ayurveda as a purvarupa (causative factors) of many diseases. If left untreated, it may lead to piles, fistula, fissure, and other chronic disorders. In Ayurveda, many drugs have been described for the treatment of constipation. Panchaskar Choorna is one of them.
What are the ingredients of Panchaskar Choorna?
It is a combination of simple and routine herbs used in managing constipation, hemorrhoids and conditions like pain in the abdomen, flatulence, assimilatory disorder and rheumatic conditions. It is a simple yet precious combination of herbs that reduce the Vaata dosha.
It is named Panchaskar Choorna because all the five ingredients of this product start with the letter ‘sa’. The ingredients of Panchaskar Choorna are:
10 g each of:
- Shunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare)
- Senna leaves (Cassia angustifolia)
- Shiva-Haritaki – unripe fruits (Terminalia chebula)
- Saindhav lavana (Rock Salt)
(Reference: Ayurved Saar Sangraha – Page 589)
All these ingredients are well known for managing digestive weakness, constipation, low appetite, impaired digestion, and accumulation of toxins in the body as they have the ability to soften the stool. Ginger and rock salt help in improving the bile flow and appetite.
What are the pharmacological properties of Panchaskar Choorna?
- Rasa (Taste): Katu (pungent), Tikta (bitter), Madhur (Sweet), Kashaya (Astringent)
- Guna (Qualities): Laghu (light), Ruksha (Dry)
- Virya (Potency): Ushna (hot)
- Karma (Action): Vaata-Kapha naashak (balances Vaata and Kapha doshas).
- Effect on Tridoshas: Balances Vaata and Kapha dosha.
What are the benefits of Panchaskar Choorna?
It is mainly used in treating constipation and bloating.
- Panchaskar choorna improves digestive strength, relieves gas, abdominal bloating and colic pain.
- The other conditions that are managed by the use of this formulation are assimilatory disorders, rheumatic conditions and all disorders of kapha dosha origin.
- It also improves functioning of liver.
- It is an antidote for pungent food and promotes the elimination of toxins, supports intestinal motility and balances Vaata and Kapha doshas.
What is the action of Panchaskar Choorna on Constipation?
According to Ayurveda, constipation is mainly caused due to the vitiation of Vata dosha and is classified under vaata pradhan (Vaata dominant) and Vaata-Kapha pradhan (Vata-Kapha dominant) roga. Therefore anulomana dravyas (peristaltic drugs) should be used for constipation.
The pharmacological action of the ingredients of Panchaskar Choorna are:
- Shunthi (Zingiber officinale): Shunthi has antispasmodic property.
- Saunf (Fennel seeds): When fennel seeds are used as powder, these act as laxative. The roughage present in fennel seeds helps in clearing the bowels by maintaining the peristaltic motion of the intestines which leads to proper evacuation by the secretion of gastric juices.
- Fennel seeds are also useful in eliminating excess gas from the stomach.
- Fennel seeds in this formulation impart a calming effect.
- Sanaaya patra (Cassia angustifolia): Senna leaves are an anthranoid type stimulating laxative. The laxative effect of senna leaves is due to the action of sennosides and their active metabolite rhein-anthrone. This affects the motility of the large intestine beneficially.
- The laxative effect is analyzed by the inhibition of water and electrolyte absorption from the large intestine which results in increasing the volume and pressure of the intestinal contents. Therefore, there is a stimulation of colon motility resulting in propulsive contractions.
- It helps in clearing the srotas (channels) as well.
- Shiva-Haritaki (Terminalia chebula): The powerful fruit Haritaki is one of the myrobalan fruits and is known as one of the components of the highly praised Triphala food supplement.
- Haritaki contains five of the six rasaas (tastes) that are mentioned in Ayurveda. These are sweet, sour, tart, bitter and hot.
- The natural laxative property of this fruit is quite helpful in relieving the symptoms of constipation.
- Due to the presence of dietary fibres in haritaki, it is useful in regulating the bowel movement.
- Therefore it eases bowel movement.
- Saindha Lavan (Rock salt): Rock salt stimulates the secretion of gastric juices in the stomach.
- It helps in maintaining a state of homeostasis in the body and regulates the body functions.
Dosage: 3 to 6 grams given along with warm water once or twice a day before or after taking food or as directed by physician.
Side Effects: The higher dose of this medicine may lead to diarrhea. It reduces the Vaata dosha but at the same time, it increases the digestive fire and Pitta dosha. People with high blood pressure should take precaution while taking this