Cough and Cold are the most common health issues that all go through at some point in life. Cough when accompanied by throat pain, chest pain, voice crack etc. is very annoying.
To treat the nasty cough, one of the must-have Ayurvedic herbal formulation is Sitopalaadi Choorna. It is an amazing herbal Ayurvedic medicine that strengthens the respiratory system.
Sitopalaadi Choorna is a classical Ayurvedic powder beneficial in the diseases relating to respiratory system, immune system and digestive system. This choorna is also used as a base for the preparation of various herbal remedies that are beneficial in respiratory disorders. Sitopalaadi Choorna is mainly used for respiratory troubles and debility after chronic diseases.
Sitopalaadi Choorna is an excellent immunomodulatory consisting of five components. Components such as Pippali and Cinnamon function as bio-enhancers. Cardamom is loaded with anti-oxidants that help in preventing free radical damage and gives strength to the lungs. It has strong anti-inflammatory property as well. It acts as an expectorant and helps the body to get rid of mucus and phlegm deposits from the throat and nasal cavity.
Misri (crystallized sugar lumps) has the potential to balance Kapha and Vaata doshas. Vanshlochan has healing properties that has healing properties and useful in promoting respiratory health.
Effect on Doshas: It has madhura (sweet taste) and katu rasa (bitter taste). It balances Vaata and Kapha doshas and effectively removes Aama (toxins) from the body.
Composition of Sitopladi Choorna?
- Misri (Crystallized sugar lumps): 51.61%
- Vanshlochan: 25.81%
- Pippali (Piper longum): 12.90%
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum): 6.45%
- Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanicum): 3.23%
What are the medicinal properties of Sitopalaadi Choorna?
- Digestive stimulant
- Lung tissue repairer
What are the benefits and medicinal uses of Sitopalaadi Choorna?
- In Cough: Sitopalaadi Choorna is used widely in Ayurveda to cure fever linked with flu, chest congestion and other respiratory conditions like pneummonia, tuberculosis and bronchitis.
- This expectorant loosens the phlegm and the anti-inflammatory properties of Sitopalaadi Choorna inhibit the release of inflammatory mediators and therefore help in controlling various respiratory allergic symptoms.
- Due to the ingredients of Sitopalaadi Choorna, it is anti-tussive and anti-inflammatory in nature.
- This choorna is also beneficial in weakness associated with or without cough during pregnancy.
- It is administered in sore throat as well.
- In Tonsilitis: Sitopalaadi Choorna is also beneficial in inflammation of the tonsils or swollen tonsils.
- Regular intake of Sitopalaadi Choorna with honey is beneficial in reducing symptoms like sore throat, swelling, inflammation, tender lymph nodes of neck, difficulty in swallowing etc.
- In Asthma: Although, it is not prescribed as a remedy for asthma but due to its role in reducing inflammation, swelling of airways and mucus production, it works well with the combination of other medicines in the management of asthma.
- Sitopalaadi Choorna also works as a potent bronchodilator, reduces phlegm, shortness of breath, coughing and wheezing.
- In Chronic Fevers: The main role of Sitopalaadi Choorna is to detoxify the toxins that are responsible for causing fever and helps in eliminating them.
- Patients suffering from low-grade fever suffer from fatigue, loss of appetite, restlessness and debility. Sitopalaadi Choorna is a drug of choice in these cases.
- In Low Immunity and Recurrent Infections: The ingredients of Sitopalaadi Choorna have potent immumomodulatory ingredients which enhance the non-specific immunity.
- Therefore, children having low immunity with recurrent upper respiratory infections can benefit from it.
- Debility and Typhoid Fever: Sitopalaadi Choorna provides relief in chronic debility that occurs after typhoid fever.
- It provides strength to the body, eliminates the residual toxins and improves metabolism in the body.
- Treats Anemia: The ingredients of Sitopalaadi Choorna are quite effective in improving the hemoglobin levels.
- Regular intake of Sitopalaadi Choorna helps in overcoming fatigue, lack of energy and irritability.
- It helps in promoting the absorption of iron in the body.
- Promotes Digestion: In Ayurveda, Sitopalaadi Choorna is also useful for treating digestion problems.
- This wonder choorna promotes digestion, appetite and clears out toxins from the system.
- The carminative property of this choorna is useful in digestion problems such as gas and bloating.
Prescribed Dosage and Administration:
- Infants: 100-250 mg
- Children: 500-1000 mg
- Adults: 2-4 grams
- Old age: 1-3 grams
- Pregnancy: 1-3 grams
Best Adjuvants to take Sitopaladi Choorna are:
- For Dry Cough: 5 grams cow ghee and 2.5 grams honey
- For Productive Cough: 5 grams honey
Side effects of Sitopladi Churna:
It is devoid of any side effects but in few patients, it may cause gastritis, especially if taken before food. This powder is not suitable for people with diabetes.